A Closer Look Home Inspections 508-828-9039 or 774-406-6170
HomeWhat to expectMoldWaterRadonTestimonialsContact Us

What is Radon?

Radon is a cancer causing, radioactive gas that cannot be seen, smelled or tasted. However, nearly 1 in 15 homes in the US are estimated to have elevated levels of radon, and it may cause a problem in your home. Radon gas comes from the natural decay of uranium in rocks and soil. When this gas escapes into open air, it is harmless, but when radon gas seeps into a home's living or working areas, it can accumulate and become a deadly threat. If you have well water, radon in the water can enter into the living areas by escaping into the air when faucets, showers, etc., are in use. Radon is the nation's second leading cause of lung cancer, estimated to cause 14,000 deaths per year.

What to do about radon

The EPA recommends taking action on your home if you have two short-term tests where the average value is 4pCi/L or greater. Further, they recommend that you consider taking action on your home if the radon levels are between 2 and 4 pCi/L. Lowering radon levels requires technical knowledge and special skill. It is recommended that you should use a contractor that is certified and or licensed to fix radon problems. The Massachusetts State Radon Agency's telephone # is 413-586-7525.